Monday, October 17, 2011

Birth Continued....

The hours following Noah's birth were the scariest moments of my life. Within an hour of delivery the pediatrician noticed that Noah's chest was retracting and that he was having a hard time breathing. A 15 minute observation turned into a 7 day ordeal. At 2am the nurse practitioner from the level II nursery at Methodist came to speak with me about Noah's condition. She had zero answers and the look on her face told me that my little man was in a lot of trouble. He was breathing 147 times in a minute. I will save you the whole fiasco and shorten it up a bit. After 2 days at Methodist they started comparing Noah's lungs to fetal death. They were turning more and more grey. We transferred him to Texas Childrens and within seconds my son was assigned a team of angels. He was immediately placed on a ventilator and was given a dose of surfactant. We crossed our fingers hoping the diagnoses of immature lungs would hold. The team let us know they had done everything they could do, now it was up to our little man to fight.

In the mean time I was discharged from the hospital. Leaving was incredibly hard. I came home to scrub my floors and do laundry. No pain meds post delivery and honestly no recovery. All I wanted was to bring Noah home. Madelyne was so confused. My belly was smaller, but where was her brother. Nothing was like we had planned. There was no small family birthday party for Noah at the hospital, no he is your gift from Noah and vis versa....It was this is your little brother, don't touch any wires or cords. He is very sick. She became really confused. We caught he putting things in her nose to look like her little brother.

The staff was amazing at Texas Children's. 5 days after delivery I was able to hold my little boy for as long as I wanted, and the next day I was able to nurse for the first time. On day 7 he was able to come home. Everyday Noah got better 1 day he was off the ventilator, off c-pap, and eventually he was on room air. Our God is truly amazing. Noah made leaps and bounds in a very small amount of time.

The day we brought him home Madelyne was at daycare. Josh waited in the car with him and I went to go inside to get her. I didn't tell her he was in the car, I just put her in her seat right next to him. She looked over and the look on her face was priceless. It was such an amazing moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment