Monday, March 23, 2009

Vaccinations

First and foremost I want to start by saying that this topic is very sensitive for me. I hate that I have to keep explaining myself. This is our opinion and we by no means try to influence anyone on this matter. You do what is best for your child and we will do what is best for ours. Josh and I made the decision to terminate Madelyne's shots for now and maybe permanently. It was a very educated decision, and I would never put my child or someone else's child in danger. I won't lie, I get my feelings hurt very easy on this matter, but it is something that I feel very strong about. I am tired of people looking at me with a stupid look when I tell them we discontinued her shots. I am starting to feel I should give a stupid look right back when they say that they are vaccinating. It has become very common for parents to choose an alternate route of vaccinating and or terminating them all together. I received my shots before starting school, and I remember my arm being a little sore or not really wanting to play for a day. When Mati got her first round Josh and I were uneducated so we allowed the first round. Mati was fussy all weekend. Her complete schedule was thrown off. Why do that? I just think it is a lot for an infant to handle. Not to mention the risks with autism. Autism has more than tripled since 1980, and I am not going to gamble with that. Your pedi can not look you in the eye and tell you that there isn't a link between vaccinations and autism. At the end of the day your child is just a patient to your pediatrician, but your son or you daughter is your child. These are our views, and we aren't trying to influence anyone. I know of 3 people who were badly effected with taking shots. Here is a tad bit of information.

Vaccinations and Autism

Before 1980, autism was diagnosed in just 1 out of every 10,000 children. Twenty – five years later, the National Institutes of Health reported that autism disorders affect one in every 250 children, and is estimated to increase 10% every year. Though no scientific evidence has yet to prove a link between autism and vaccinations, both the scientific and medical communities agree that further research and study needs to be conducted before the possible link can be completely dismissed. With the rumors of autism and vaccinations, many families are opting for alternative vaccinations schedules or no vaccinations at all. What exactly is the link between autism and vaccinations?

The Connections Between Vaccinations and Autism

The first connection with autism and vaccinations come through a preservative called thimerosal. Thimerosal is a preservative found in many vaccinations. Thimerosal contains 46.9% ethyl mercury. Mercury is the second most harmful natural substance to humans, next to uranium. Mercury has been proven to cause neurological damage, among other ailments, and pregnant women are warned against the ingestion of mercury, even warning expectant mothers of eating fish. Autism and autistic spectrum disorders are neurological disorders. Although the CDC claims that vaccinations no longer contain thimerosal, it must be noted that pharmaceutical companies were not prohibited from using this preservative, but strongly encouraged to or reduce the amount found in certain vaccinations. Seventeen vaccinations contain thimerosal, including the flu shot. Although new vaccinations are being created without thimerosal, vaccinations containing the preservative are still being administered throughout the country.

The Increase in Vaccinations

Another suspicion linking vaccinations to autism comes from the amount of vaccinations children now receive. In 1985, infants received four vaccinations that contained thimerosal. In 1991, when the rate of autism began to increase, infants were now receiving eleven vaccinations containing thimerosal. One physician, requesting to remain anonymous, states, “In the 80s, children received eight vaccinations in early childhood. They now receive thirty. Why thirty? With each public health scare, like Smallpox or Anthrax, that number is going to inevitably increase. Twenty years from now, children could easily be receiving forty vaccinations and because the medical community – some of the medical community – endorses this, parents will vaccinate without knowing the risks. I tell my patients not to take my word for it. Not to take the word of the CDC or the APA, but to research themselves. It falls in the same myth that unvaccinated children cannot attend public school. Few people read the fine print and even fewer will inform them of it.”
The last link between autism and vaccinations deals with age. The onset of autism is generally detected in very early childhood. In mild cases, some parents may be unaware of the autistic spectrum symptoms and many believe that their child is simply a late bloomer or that lack of socialization may be the root of the children's delays. There is one exception, called regressive autism. Those affected by regressive autism start life off with chronologically appropriate skills and then begin to lose those skills. Regressive autism has been linked to the MMR vaccination. Many parents noticed after their children received the MMR shot, that their children regressed and skills previously possessed practically disappeared. Some in the medical community believe that repressive autism is an imaginary disease created by parents, but to the parents of the autistic child – who care for this child every day – they believe very strongly.

Vaccinations and Autism: Educate Yourself

Research and studies have yet to produce concrete evidence that there is indeed a link between autism and vaccinations, but they are unable to completely rule out the possibility. Some use the fact that they have been unable to link the two without a question as basis to argue that there is no link. However, researchers have been working diligently for decades to solve the mystery of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome to no success. Because their research has yet to give a specific cause to SIDS, doesn't mean SIDS does not exist. The best decision you can make for your child is to educate yourself on the possible health risks related to vaccinations, whether it is autism or SIDS. If you do chose to vaccinate your child, ask your pediatrician who manufactures the vaccination and what is used as a preservative. Do not make the mistake that so many parents do by blindly following the policies and beliefs of your pediatrician

Sorry for all the info....I just hope you understand why we made our decision. Today I wanted to take time and give an explanation although I feel I don't owe one. I won't be scared into vaccinating Mati.

3 comments:

  1. This is interesting to me. Do you have a link to where you got this article. I would like to show it to my Sister-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete